Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you for helping me continue to share great products with you! I will never share products I don’t believe in 100%!
I am super excited to share this recipe!! It’s a little fire-cracker and a one pan dish. Perfect combo? I think yes! The last time I shared a one pan skillet you guys loved it so I definitely see more in the future!
Another reason I am so excited about this post: I have been using Mulay’s Sausage constantly lately and I LOVE IT! Like seriously, this sausage is so dang good. It is paleo, has super clean ingredients and it comes in different varieties! For this recipe I used the Original Italian Sausage but I have been really obsessing over the Chorizo and Breakfast Sausage too. Yuuum.
I love Mulay’s even more because they keep their standards really high. In my mind it is just as important to eat well sourced meat as it is to eat organically raised vegetables, if not more so! Mulay’s uses antibiotic free Heritage raised pork that is Certified Gluten Free, free of the top 8 allergens and they support sustainable farming practices by getting all of their pork through ONE supplier. Wow, just wow.
Can you tell I’m just a little excited about ethically raised meat?! While I have linked where you can buy Mulay’s online, you can always ask your favorite local grocery store to bring brands like Mulay’s in if you want some amazing quality meat ASAP. Most grocery stores will be more than happy to bring products in for customers – especially since the meat arrives frozen to ensure maximum freshness, it isn’t a highly perishable item.
Phew, so much excitement there! Now let’s talk about the recipe! This one pan skillet meal is super versatile and can be eaten at any time of the day! It is perfect as an egg-free breakfast option as well as an easy dinner dish. While it is reminiscent of a breakfast hash (without the eggs!) there is a layer of potato on the bottom that gets perfectly crispy and elevates the dish even further!
Feel free to substitute in another green, leafy veggie for the kale – spinach, arugula or Swiss chard would all taste great too! For this recipe I used my trusty Magic Mushroom Powder but if you don’t have that regular sea salt will work just fine. You could also swap out the red potatoes for whatever kind of potatoes you like best – Yukon gold, russet or any variety of sweet potato! Get creative!
Sausage, Kale and Potato One Pan Skillet
(PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, WHOLE30)
PREP TIME: 10 MIN. COOK TIME: 25 MIN.
1-2 tbs. cooking fat of your choice – olive oil, coconut oil, butter or ghee would all be great here – I used ghee
1 lb. Mulay’s Sausage Original Italian Sausage, defrosted (I leave mine in the refrigerator for 1-2 days to fully thaw out before using in a recipe)
5-6 red potatoes, shredded using a cheese grater or alternatively you can cube the potatoes into 1″ pieces
1 head kale, leaves torn from stems into bite size pieces
- Place cast iron skillet on a burner and turn the heat to medium high. Add in your fat of choice and heat until the fat is melted and coats the pan. Ignore this step if your skillet is already greased and ready to go!
- Once hot, start to cook the sausage and cook until there is no more pink, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.
- When the sausage is cooked through, remove from pan and set aside in a bowl or on a plate. While the skillet is still hot, add in the shredded or cubed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with the Magic Mushroom Powder (or sea salt) and stir every couple of minutes for about 10 minutes. Don’t worry if the potatoes stick to the skillet, they will come up easily later!
- After 10 minutes, add kale to the skillet and cover with a lid to steam lightly for 2 minutes.
- Once kale has wilted, add the sausage back in and stir to combine all the ingredients. Let cook for 2-3 more minutes, remove from heat and serve!!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter! I share even more nutrition advice, recipes you won’t find on the website and special discounts.