Disclosure: this post contains some affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for all your support!
Guys are you ready for this?! Because I have seriously made the best thing ever. I am so proud of this one!! This Green Chile Chorizo Casserole was born out of me being so excited that I actually found a clean chorizo brand that I like that I couldn’t wait to make something with it! I also had a spaghetti squash on hand and knew I had to make a riff on my Wonton Casserole!
And damn, have I got a winner here! I am so in love with the layers of flavor in this dish and the subtle heat provided by the chorizo and green chilies. I wouldn’t call this casserole spicy but there is certainly more to this than your typical casserole. Flavor is such a beautiful thing.
I was listening to a podcast the other day where a girl who was in culinary school was being interviewed. She was asked what her #1 tip for home cooks was and she responded that it was to “salt food more.” Boom. Done. I already cook with plenty salt and I believe it truly brings out such awesome flavors!
Enough about salt… let’s get to this casserole! I haven’t tried any substitutions yet but I am certain you could add most vegetables in this and it would still taste awesome. Some ideas could be bell peppers, mushrooms, onion and zucchini would all be great additions. I went pretty simple with some added spinach to pack an extra nutritional punch!
These types of dishes are my absolute favorite to make – you can make parts of the dish like the meat or spaghetti squash ahead of time and then right before baking, combine everything together to send it off in the oven. This drastically cuts down on prep time when dinner time is already staring you in the face. Also, casserole just screams comfort food to me and this is exactly what this dish is. A big, warm hug!
Green Chile Chorizo Casserole (Paleo)
(PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, WHOLE30, 21 DSD)
PREP TIME: 15-45 MINUTES COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
1 spaghetti squash, halved
1 lb. chorizo sausage (I used this brand and I am SOOO happy I found it!)
1 – 4 oz. can diced green chilies
2 c. spinach
2 eggs, whisked
1 tsp. sea salt
Cilantro (for topping)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees for the spaghetti squash. Cut squash in half lengthwise and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender to touch. Alternatively you can cook a spaghetti squash in the instant pot like I did last week for 7 minutes on manual (this is by far the easiest method!!).
2. Meanwhile, heat up a skillet on the stove and begin to brown the chorizo – cook until no longer pink, drain the excess fat off and add to a large bowl.
3. When the squash is done, remove from oven or instant pot and remove seeds with a fork. Scoop the rest of the spaghetti squash into the large large bowl. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
4. Combine chorizo with spaghetti squash strands, spinach, green chilies, eggs and salt. Mix well!
6. Bake for one hour. Turn to broil for the last few minutes until the casserole is crispy and golden. Top with chopped cilantro.
Sign up for my monthly newsletter! I share even more nutrition advice, recipes you won’t find on the website and special discounts.