Confession: I didn’t start liking Brussels sprouts until about 4 years ago! It was honestly this recipe right here that made me change my mind. Something else you may not know about me: I am a die-hard maple syrup fan. The real stuff, mind you. I don’t need any imitation pancake B.S. in my life. It’s gotta be real – 100% pure maple syrup! YUM!
When I was younger Brussels sprouts always just sounded gross. Like a little green cabbage that is (usually) steamed?! Ewwww. Let’s get real, the least appetizing way to cook vegetables is to steam them and then leave them naked without any fat (butter, olive oil or coconut oil…) or salt. Tsk Tsk. Long gone are those days, though!
Enter: your new favorite way to eat Brussels ❤
Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts (Paleo)
(PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, REFINED SUGAR-FREE)
YIELD: ~2 cups SERVES 4
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
4 strips bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, hard end cut off and quartered
2 tbs. olive oil or ghee
2 tbs. maple syrup
1 tsp. sea salt
pepper to taste
- Cook bacon per your preferred method (I prefer the oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes), let cool, dice and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil or ghee.
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts, trimming the outer leaves and cutting into quarters.
- Once pan is hot, add Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper and cook until fork tender, about ~10-15 minutes.
- Add maple syrup while still hot in the pan and stir to combine. Let cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and top with bacon pieces and optional pecans!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter! I share even more nutrition advice, recipes you won’t find on the website and special discounts.