It takes an incredibly hearty and delicious salad for me to want to eat it in the winter! Not that salads aren’t delicious, but I just tend to crave warm foods like soups and stews in the winter rather than raw and cold vegetables – sounds much less appealing…
But not this salad! I love me a good, loaded and hearty salad. The key to a really good salad is different textures and flavors. I love mixing raw and roasted vegetables, adding a citrus-y dressing or seeds on top for a crunch! Mixing and matching flavors can be really fun and you might even create your next new favorite salad!
I used more seasonal vegetables in this salad because they were easy to find and my body craves them when the weather gets colder! Beets, winter squashes and pomegranates are all abundant in the colder months and as a bonus – their flavors are at peak deliciousness when they are in season! Michael Scott from The Office might even call it a “win/win/win.”
This salad is honestly a starting point, feel free (as always!) to get creative and add in or substitute the ingredients and flavors you love. Some ideas might include: sub in butternut squash for the delicata squash. Add pumpkin or sunflower seeds for some CRUNCH! Add avocado or feta cheese if you tolerate dairy well. Don’t like bison? Cool, use grilled chicken, ground beef or make it vegetarian-friendly! Use baby kale or romaine for the greens (maybe wait a bit on the romaine though…). Use a balsamic-based dressing or a honey mustard dressing. Yuuuum.
Ready to dig in yet?!
Winter Harvest Salad with Beet Grapefruit Vinaigrette
(PALEO, WHOLE30, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, NUT-FREE OPTION)
PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES
1 delicata squash, seeded and cut into rings (the skin is completely edible so leave it on!)
1 tsp. olive oil
sprinkle sea salt
1 lb. ground bison (you could also use ground beef, chicken or pork)
2-3 cups leafy greens such as arugula, spinach, baby kale or green leaf lettuce
2-3 small beets, steamed (I use the Love Beets brand that come pre-steamed) and cut into discs
½ c. broccoli sprouts
½ c. pomegranate seeds
¼ c. pecan pieces, or chopped whole pecans, optional
1 medium beet, steamed (again I use the Love Beets brand that come ready to use!)
2 tbs. olive oil
1 whole grapefruit, peeled and segments removed from the pith (could easily use canned grapefruit in 100% juice)
¼ c. apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp. sea salt (I only ever use Redmond’s Real Salt)
- Turn on oven to 400 degrees. Cut the ends off the acorn squash and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Cut into ½” rings and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and bake 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- While the squash is cooking, heat up a skillet on medium-low heat for the bison.
- Cook until completely done, aka no pink showing, and set aside.
- Prepare the salads by laying down the greens first, the add the beets, broccoli sprouts, pomegranate seeds and pecans.
- Top with ground bison and squash rings.
- To make the dressing, blend all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor.
- Pour over the salad and ENJOY!!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter! I share even more nutrition advice, recipes you won’t find on the website and special discounts.