I have been making Thanksgiving food all week and am still loving it! I wanted to experiment with a slightly lower-carb alternative to mashed potatoes. In the past, I never loved mashed potatoes so I wanted to create a recipe that I loved!
Since I do really enjoy baby red potatoes, I wanted to highlight their sweet and creamy taste while cutting them with a lower carbohydrate vegetable. Enter: cauliflower! What can’t cauliflower do, honestly? I also wanted to have a side dish that was a bit more versatile and could be enjoyed year round.
Instead of the typical melted butter on top, I melted some ghee and it brought out the creamy flavor even more! The slightly nutty flavor of ghee elevates the dish and makes it feel really special. If you can’t find ghee or just want to keep it a bit more traditional, feel free to substitute with butter.
(PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, NUT-FREE OPTION)
PREP TIME: 35 MINUTES
2 lbs. baby red potatoes, skin on and roughly chopped
1 head cauliflower, cored and roughly chopped
¼ c. chicken bone broth
1¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. white pepper
2-3 tbs. ghee
- Boil two large pots of water to steam both the potatoes and cauliflower.
- Using steamer baskets or place directly in the water, boil the cauliflower for about 10 minutes or until very tender.
- Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain off the water and place both the potatoes and cauliflower in a food processor or high-powered blender. Add bone broth, coconut milk, sea salt and pepper.
- Blend until desired consistency and texture is reached, personally I like mine a bit chunky and less silky.
- Transfer to a large bowl and top with melted ghee! Enjoy.
Sign up for my monthly newsletter! I share even more nutrition advice, recipes you won’t find on the website and special discounts.