This bread is insane. Insane in the best possible way! It’s crazy flavorful and still really low in sugar, thanks to the bananas!
The gorgeous green color comes from Matcha green tea powder. Matcha is a form of dried and pulverized tea that has been around for centuries. Traditionally touted for having an abundance of antioxidants (read anti-cancer) properties, matcha is an excellent substitute for coffee.
A cup of matcha has a similar caffeine content to a cup of traditionally brewed coffee, but gives you a much “smoother” dose of caffeine without the jitters or crash that can come with coffee.
Matcha contains l-theanine, an amino acid, which helps balance out the effects of caffeine and can produce a certain calm. Also, since matcha is green it naturally contains chlorophyll, which can help to detoxify and eliminate heavy metals and other buildup in the body.
You can use matcha powder to make the or lattes, just as you would with regular coffee. Try it for a change up sometime!
Now that we are all pretty sure this stuff is incredibly healthy, let’s bake with it!!!! 😉
*tip* if you have bananas that aren’t super ripe yet, you can roast them (skins on!) in the oven at 325 for 20-30 minutes until the skins are nice and black colored.
Gluten-Free Matcha Banana Bread
(GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, VEGAN OPTION)
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES BAKE TIME: 60 MINUTES
1¼ c. gluten free flour blend (I always use and LOVE Namaste Flour Blend)
½ c. almond meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. sea salt
2 tbs. finely ground matcha tea powder
¼ c. honey (can sub maple syrup)
½ c. coconut milk (can sub almond milk)
⅓ c. ghee, coconut oil or avocado oil, melted
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1¼ c. mashed, super ripe bananas (about 4 bananas) plus more sliced bananas to top the loaf, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease liberally with ghee or coconut oil.
- Start by peeling and mashing the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- To the bananas, add the eggs, coconut milk, ghee, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Stir until no large clumps remain.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, the gluten free flour blend, almond flour, baking powder and soda, sea salt and the matcha powder.
- Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and combine until a smooth batter forms.
- At this point you can pour the mixture into the pan and top with extras slices of banana, if desired or leave the top plain.
- Bake for 55-60 min, taking care not to open the oven during the cook time.
- Let cool at least 30 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a baking sheet. Let cool before cutting and cut into 10 pieces. Enjoy!