Veggies in desserts make me happy. Like, really happy. It almost feels like you are cheating because the vegetables have clearly “health-ified” the treat you are eating! Win-win.
This bread was inspired by a whole bunch of zucchini that looked a bit lonely in my fridge. I also had some chocolate chips and delicious cacao powder that practically begged to be used up and I knew that zucchini bread would have to be the answer! As a double bonus, this bread also uses applesauce in place of oil, making it super moist and adding just the right amount of sweetness.
Do you love “health-ifying” your desserts? I’ve got mad love for anything with pumpkin, sweet potato or carrots in it. I’m looking to branch out and experiment more with other veggies such as parsnips and squashes.
This recipe squeezes some water out of the zucchini to give the bread a slightly moist but not under-cooked or gooey texture. And, sine the recipe is nut free, coconut flour and arrowroot starch stand in for a perfect crumble and give great texture. Don’t worry if you don’t like coconut, you won’t be able to detect a coconut flavor at all!
This bread is really forgiving, so if you are new to gluten-free baking give it a try! It tastes delicious as is or even better with a little nut butter or ghee on top! Feel free to substitute nuts or coconut chips for the chocolate chips if that’s your thing (only judging slightly, because chocolate is KING in my mind).
Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
(PALEO, GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, NUT FREE)
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES BAKE TIME: 60 MINUTES
1 c. zucchini, shredded
½ c. maple syrup or honey (can also sub any liquid sweetener of your choice)
½ c. applesauce, unsweetened
3 tbs. tapioca starch (can use arrowroot or cornstarch if needed)
⅓ c. coconut flour
¼ c. cacao powder or cocoa powder (I love this brand)
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (just cinnamon works great too)
2 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. sea salt
½ to ¾ c. chocolate chips (this brand is dairy free and just the best!)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease liberally with ghee or coconut oil.
- Place shredded zucchini on paper towel and squeeze water out to dry out the pieces a bit.
- Add zucchini to a bowl with eggs, honey and applesauce and combine well.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients and make sure to stir until no large lumps remain.
- Fold in chocolate chips, reserving some for the top, and pour into loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-60 min, taking care not to open the oven during the cook time (the top will sink, like mine did!)
- Let cool at least 30 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a baking sheet. Let cool before cutting and cut into 10 pieces. Enjoy!